Cats are strictly carnivorous. They can, at times be too finicky as well. So, how to handle and tackle your cat when it gets too finicky? What do you do when your cat refuses to eat its meal? You must have often come across felines who are quite finicky when it comes to food, but you somehow tend to get frustrated when you find out that your feline has suddenly stopped eating the food that it once loved.
Many of you have questions that how to feed your cat. It is certainly not an easy task if your cat gets irritated or fussy about something. You simply just can’t get her to eat just like that. Though there is not only one answer that would fit every cat or her metabolism or lifestyle and it certainly doesn’t fit every cat food too. So this is not something like you get an easy answer to it. However, I would go every bit in detail so that it becomes easier for you to figure it out.
What I am going to explain here today is about popular foods for a cat that they would love to eat. Though this simply doesn’t mean that every feline would fit into this food category, you must give it a try.
How much should you feed your cat each day?
If you speak about the dried foods for cats; the feeding guidelines of the manufacturer recommends that varies from 160 to 360 calories per day that you should feed your cats. This amount of food is for an average eight-pound cat. So that’s a large variance if you were to go by their feeding guidelines.
And if you are feeding the canned food to your cat, it should be 30 to 40 calories per ounce, per day. This is what the canned food’s guidelines recommend.
How to Feed your Cats? – The Vet’s Suggestion:
Many of you may think that how to feed your cat and this itself is a very tricky question when you are a new owner of any cat. And it is quite obvious for you to take assistance from your nearest pet veterinary.
These questions will be changing a little bit depending on whom your cat is how old he/she is as a matter of fact & various medical or health issues he might have. So, it is advisable to keep a regular check with your veterinarian.
- In general, though, it is advisable to feed your cat with dried foods multiple times a day. I am saying multiple meals per day because it might be that many cats can often ask for many small meals, sometimes up to twenty per day.
- This is because a huge portion of a normal cat’s time budget is taken up for hunting and one way that we can stimulate that is by providing her several mini meals throughout the day.
- If you’re feeding your cat with several mini meals, make sure that you keep your cat’s teeth clean. This will keep him healthy and also away from bacterial growth in his
- However, if you want to give your cats only two to three meals per day and want them to last longer, then the best thing is to provide them is the puzzle tray. There are many puzzle trays available in the market.
- You can choose one as per your cat’s convenience. A puzzle tray is a box-like structure which can store both dry food and canned food. The only thing what your cat has to do with this is to hunt his food in the puzzle tray, to make his meals every day.
- As far as how much you feed your cat, is concerned, it depends on how much calories your cat intakes throughout the day during his meals. For instance, if your six-year-old cat is a bit on the overweight side, then your cat certainly requires fewer calories as compared to the one who is thin or skinny. That’s why advice from other medical consultants is as important as feeding her with the right food so that you can talk about your cat to your veterinary about his meals. The amount and the kind of food you are feeding your cat totally depend on the size and the age of your cat.
The main thing about water is that it should be available for your cat all the time. Many cats often want water from the tap that is the fresh running water. So you might see your cat enjoy drinking water either from the cup or another glass, so you should keep his bowl of water clean and should be filled with fresh and cold water. Other than water, suitable milk for a cat should be made available all the time. This should be apart from dry or canned food.
Make sure that you keep a check on your cats’ weight. Keep tracking his weight and other daily activities. The moment you see your cat not enjoying his meal, you need to know that there might be worms in your cat’s tummy; consult your cat’s medical consultant.